The Sunday School Lesson Sin, Punishment, and Restoration by David McGee
Apr 24, 2022
Sin, Punishment, and Restoration (42:35)
Referenced Scriptures: Jeremiah 8:4-17; Jeremiah 31:31-34
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
4) Moreover you shall tell them, Thus says Yahweh: Shall men fall, and not rise up again? Shall one turn away, and not return?
5) Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.
6) I listened and heard, but they didn‘t speak aright: no man repents him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? everyone turns to his course, as a horse that rushes headlong in the battle.
7) Yes, the stork in the sky knows her appointed times; and the turtle-dove and the swallow and the crane observe the time of their coming; but my people don‘t know the law of Yahweh.
8) How do you say, We are wise, and the law of Yahweh is with us? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has worked falsely.
9) The wise men are put to shame, they are dismayed and taken: behold, they have rejected the word of Yahweh; and what manner of wisdom is in them?
10) Therefore will I give their wives to others, and their fields to those who shall possess them: for everyone from the least even to the greatest is given to covetousness; from the prophet even to the priest every one deals falsely.
11) They have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.
12) Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among those who fall; in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, says Yahweh.
13) I will utterly consume them, says Yahweh: there shall be no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig-tree, and the leaf shall fade; and [the things that] I have given them shall pass away from them.
14) Why do we sit still? assemble yourselves, and let us enter into the fortified cities, and let us be silent there; for Yahweh our God has put us to silence, and given us water of gall to drink, because we have sinned against Yahweh.
15) We looked for peace, but no good came; [and] for a time of healing, and, behold, dismay!
16) The snorting of his horses is heard from Dan: at the sound of the neighing of his strong ones the whole land trembles; for they are come, and have devoured the land and all that is in it; the city and those who dwell therein.
17) For, behold, I will send serpents, adders, among you, which will not be charmed; and they shall bite you, says Yahweh.
31) Behold, the days come, says Yahweh, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32) not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they broke, although I was a husband to them, says Yahweh.
33) But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says Yahweh: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people:
34) and they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Yahweh; for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says Yahweh: for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.