Windber First Assembly of God's Current Sermon by Terri Rummel
Mar 18, 2018
40 Year Detour (31:24)
Referenced Scriptures: Numbers 13:1-3; Numbers 13:26-33; Numbers 14:4-45; Deuteronomy 1:22-35; Deuteronomy 7:9
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
1) Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying,
2) Send you men, that they may spy out the land of Canaan, which I give to the children of Israel: of every tribe of their fathers shall you send a man, everyone a prince among them.
3) Moses sent them from the wilderness of Paran according to the commandment of Yahweh: all of them men who were heads of the children of Israel.
26) They went and came to Moses, and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, to the wilderness of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back word to them, and to all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land.
27) They told him, and said, We came to the land where you sent us; and surely it flows with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it.
28) However the people who dwell in the land are strong, and the cities are fortified, [and] very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there.
29) Amalek dwells in the land of the South: and the Hittite, and the Jebusite, and the Amorite, dwell in the hill-country; and the Canaanite dwells by the sea, and along by the side of the Jordan.
30) Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.
31) But the men who went up with him said, We aren‘t able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
32) They brought up an evil report of the land which they had spied out to the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to spy it out, is a land that eats up the inhabitants of it; and all the people who we saw in it are men of great stature.
33) There we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, who come of the Nephilim: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
4) They said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt.
5) Then Moses and Aaron fell on their faces before all the assembly of the congregation of the children of Israel.
6) Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, who were of those who spied out the land, tore their clothes:
7) and they spoke to all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to spy it out, is an exceeding good land.
8) If Yahweh delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it to us; a land which flows with milk and honey.
9) Only don‘t rebel against Yahweh, neither fear you the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defense is removed from over them, and Yahweh is with us: don‘t fear them.
10) But all the congregation bade stone them with stones. The glory of Yahweh appeared in the tent of meeting to all the children of Israel.
11) Yahweh said to Moses, How long will this people despise me? and how long will they not believe in me, for all the signs which I have worked among them?
12) I will strike them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of you a nation greater and mightier than they.
13) Moses said to Yahweh, Then the Egyptians will hear it; for you brought up this people in your might from among them;
14) and they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land. They have heard that you Yahweh are in the midst of this people; for you Yahweh are seen face to face, and your cloud stands over them, and you go before them, in a pillar of cloud by day, and in a pillar of fire by night.
15) Now if you shall kill this people as one man, then the nations which have heard the fame of you will speak, saying,
16) Because Yahweh was not able to bring this people into the land which he swore to them, therefore he has slain them in the wilderness.
17) Now please let the power of the Lord be great, according as you have spoken, saying,
18) Yahweh is slow to anger, and abundant in lovingkindness, forgiving iniquity and disobedience; and that will by no means clear [the guilty], visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation.
19) Pardon, Please, the iniquity of this people according to the greatness of your lovingkindness, and according as you have forgiven this people, from Egypt even until now.
20) Yahweh said, I have pardoned according to your word:
21) but in very deed, as I live, and as all the earth shall be filled with the glory of Yahweh;
22) because all those men who have seen my glory, and my signs, which I worked in Egypt and in the wilderness, yet have tempted me these ten times, and have not listened to my voice;
23) surely they shall not see the land which I swore to their fathers, neither shall any of those who despised me see it:
24) but my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and has followed me fully, him will I bring into the land into which he went; and his seed shall possess it.
25) Now the Amalekite and the Canaanite dwell in the valley: tomorrow turn you, and get you into the wilderness by the way to the Red Sea.
26) Yahweh spoke to Moses and to Aaron, saying,
27) How long [shall I bear] with this evil congregation, that murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me.
28) Tell them, As I live, says Yahweh, surely as you have spoken in my ears, so will I do to you:
29) your dead bodies shall fall in this wilderness; and all who were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, who have murmured against me,
30) surely you shall not come into the land, concerning which I swore that I would make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.
31) But your little ones, that you said should be a prey, them will I bring in, and they shall know the land which you have rejected.
32) But as for you, your dead bodies shall fall in this wilderness.
33) Your children shall be wanderers in the wilderness forty years, and shall bear your prostitution, until your dead bodies be consumed in the wilderness.
34) After the number of the days in which you spied out the land, even forty days, for every day a year, shall you bear your iniquities, even forty years, and you shall know my alienation.
35) I, Yahweh, have spoken, surely this will I do to all this evil congregation, who are gathered together against me: in this wilderness they shall be consumed, and there they shall die.
36) The men, whom Moses sent to spy out the land, who returned, and made all the congregation to murmur against him, by bringing up an evil report against the land,
37) even those men who did bring up an evil report of the land, died by the plague before Yahweh.
38) But Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, remained alive of those men who went to spy out the land.
39) Moses told these words to all the children of Israel: and the people mourned greatly.
40) They rose up early in the morning, and got them up to the top of the mountain, saying, Behold, we are here, and will go up to the place which Yahweh has promised: for we have sinned.
41) Moses said, Why now do you disobey the commandment of Yahweh, seeing it shall not prosper?
42) Don‘t go up, for Yahweh isn‘t among you; that you not be struck down before your enemies.
43) For there the Amalekite and the Canaanite are before you, and you shall fall by the sword: because you are turned back from following Yahweh, therefore Yahweh will not be with you.
44) But they presumed to go up to the top of the mountain: nevertheless the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, and Moses, didn‘t depart out of the camp.
45) Then the Amalekite came down, and the Canaanite who lived in that mountain, and struck them and beat them down, even to Hormah.
22) You came near to me everyone of you, and said, Let us send men before us, that they may search the land for us, and bring us word again of the way by which we must go up, and the cities to which we shall come.
23) The thing pleased me well; and I took twelve men of you, one man for every tribe:
24) and they turned and went up into the hill-country, and came to the valley of Eshcol, and spied it out.
25) They took of the fruit of the land in their hands, and brought it down to us, and brought us word again, and said, It is a good land which Yahweh our God gives to us.
26) Yet you wouldn‘t go up, but rebelled against the commandment of Yahweh your God:
27) and you murmured in your tents, and said, Because Yahweh hated us, he has brought us forth out of the land of Egypt, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us.
28) Where are we going up? our brothers have made our heart to melt, saying, The people are greater and taller than we; the cities are great and fortified up to the sky; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakim there.
29) Then I said to you, Don‘t dread, neither be afraid of them.
30) Yahweh your God who goes before you, he will fight for you, according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes,
31) and in the wilderness, where you have seen how that Yahweh your God bore you, as a man does bear his son, in all the way that you went, until you came to this place.
32) Yet in this thing you didn‘t believe Yahweh your God,
33) who went before you in the way, to seek you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to show you by what way you should go, and in the cloud by day.
34) Yahweh heard the voice of your words, and was angry, and swore, saying,
35) Surely there shall not one of these men of this evil generation see the good land, which I swore to give to your fathers,
9) Know therefore that Yahweh your God, he is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and lovingkindness with them who love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations,
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.