The Sunday School Lesson The Birth of the King by David McGee
Dec 20, 2020
The Birth of the King (45:27)
Referenced Scriptures: Matthew 1:18-25; Matthew 2:1-12
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
18) Now the birth of Jesus Christ was like this; because when his mother, Mary, had been engaged to Joseph, before they came together, she was found pregnant by the Holy Spirit.
19) Joseph, her husband, being a righteous man, and not willing to make her a public example, intended to put her away secretly.
20) But when he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, you son of David, don‘t be afraid to take to yourself Mary, your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21) She shall bring forth a son. You shall call his name JESUS, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins."
22) Now all this has happened, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying,
23) "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son. They shall call his name Immanuel;" which is, being interpreted, "God with us."
24) Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took his wife to himself;
25) and didn‘t know her sexually until she had brought forth her firstborn son. He named him JESUS.
1) Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod, the king, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, saying,
2) "Where is he who is born King of the Jews? For we saw his star in the east, and have come to worship him."
3) When Herod the king heard it, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4) Gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he asked them where the Christ would be born.
5) They said to him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written through the prophet,
6) ‘You Bethlehem, land of Judah, Are in no way least among the princes of Judah: For out of you shall come forth a governor, Who shall shepherd my people, Israel‘".
7) Then Herod secretly called the wise men, and learned from them exactly what time the star appeared.
8) He sent them to Bethlehem, and said, "Go and search diligently for the young child. When you have found him, bring me word, so that I also may come and worship him."
9) They, having heard the king, went their way; and behold, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, until it came and stood over where the young child was.
10) When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
11) They came into the house and saw the young child with Mary, his mother, and they fell down and worshipped him. Opening their treasures, they offered to him gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
12) Being warned in a dream that they shouldn‘t return to Herod, they went back to their own country another way.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.