The Sunday School Lesson The Letters of Paul (Part 2) by David McGee
Nov 15, 2020
The Letters of Paul (Part 2) (38:48)
Referenced Scriptures: Ephesians 2:11-22; Ephesians 4:7-16; Colossians 1:15-20; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-10; 2 Timothy 2:1-7; 2 Timothy 3:1-5; Titus 3:1-8
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
11) Therefore remember that once you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "uncircumcision" by that which is called "circumcision," (in the flesh, made by hands);
12) that you were at that time separate from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of the promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
13) But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off are made near in the blood of Christ.
14) For he is our peace, who made both one, and broke down the middle wall of partition,
15) having abolished in the flesh the hostility, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man of the two, making peace;
16) and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, having killed the hostility thereby.
17) He came and preached peace to you who were far off, and peace to those who were near.
18) For through him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father.
19) So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God,
20) being built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the chief cornerstone;
21) in whom the whole building, fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord;
22) in whom you also are built together for a habitation of God in the Spirit.
7) But to each one of us was the grace given according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8) Therefore he says, "When he ascended on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men."
9) Now this, "He ascended," what is it but that he also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
10) He who descended is the same also who ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.
11) He gave some to be apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, shepherds and teachers;
12) for the perfecting of the saints, to the work of serving, to the building up of the body of Christ;
13) until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a full grown man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14) that we may no longer be children, tossed back and forth and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error;
15) but speaking truth in love, we may grow up in all things into him, who is the head, Christ;
16) from whom all the body, being fitted and knit together through that which every joint supplies, according to the working in measure of each individual part, makes the body increase to the building up of itself in love.
15) who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
16) For in him were all things created, in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and to him.
17) He is before all things, and in him all things are held together.
18) He is the head of the body, the assembly, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
19) For all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him;
20) and through him to reconcile all things to himself, having made peace through the blood of his cross. Through him, I say, whether things on the earth, or things in the heavens.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
13) But we don‘t want you to be ignorant, brothers, concerning those who have fallen asleep, so that you don‘t grieve like the rest, who have no hope.
14) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so those who have fallen asleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15) For this we tell you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left to the coming of the Lord, will in no way precede those who have fallen asleep.
16) For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God‘s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first,
17) then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.
18) Therefore comfort one another with these words.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-10
1) Now we beg you, brothers, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together to him,
2) to the end that you won‘t be quickly shaken in your mind, nor yet be troubled, either by spirit, or by word, or by letter as from us, saying that the day of Christ had come.
3) Let no one deceive you in any way. For it will not be, unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of destruction,
4) he who opposes and exalts himself against all that is called God or that is worshipped; so that he sits as God in the temple of God, setting himself up as God.
5) Don‘t you remember that, when I was still with you, I told you these things?
6) Now you know what is restraining him, to the end that he may be revealed in his own season.
7) For the mystery of lawlessness does already work. Only there is one who restrains now, until he is taken out of the way.
8) Then will the lawless one be revealed, whom the Lord will kill with the breath of his mouth, and bring to nothing by the brightness of his coming;
9) even he whose coming is according to the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10) and with all deception of wickedness for those who are being lost, because they didn‘t receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2 Timothy 2:1-7
1) You therefore, my child, be strengthened in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2) The things which you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit the same to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
3) You therefore must endure hardship, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
4) No soldier on service entangles himself in the affairs of life, that he may please him who enrolled him as a soldier.
5) If also a man competes in the games, he is not crowned, unless he has competed by the rules.
6) The farmers who labor must be the first to get a share of the crops.
7) Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.
2 Timothy 3:1-5
1) But know this, that in the last days, grievous times will come.
2) For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3) without natural affection, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, no lovers of good,
4) traitors, headstrong, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God;
5) holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power thereof. Turn away from these, also.
1) Remind them to be in subjection to rulers and to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to every good work,
2) to speak evil of no one, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing all gentleness toward all men.
3) For we were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
4) But when the kindness of God, our Savior, and his love toward man, appeared,
5) not by works of righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy, he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,
6) which he poured out on us richly, through Jesus Christ, our Savior;
7) that, being justified by his grace, we might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
8) This saying is faithful, and concerning these things I desire that you affirm confidently, to the end that they who have believed God may be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men;
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.