The Sunday School Lesson Story of Redemption (Ruth) by David McGee
Mar 17, 2019
Story of Redemption (Ruth) (41:10)
Referenced Scriptures: Ruth 1:1-18; Ruth 2:1-13; Ruth 3:7-14; Ruth 4:9-22
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
1) It happened in the days when the judges judged, that there was a famine in the land. A certain man of Bethlehem-judah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
2) The name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehem-judah. They came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
3) Elimelech, Naomi‘s husband, died; and she was left, and her two sons.
4) They took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they lived there about ten years.
5) Mahlon and Chilion died both of them; and the woman was left of her two children and of her husband.
6) Then she arose with her daughters-in-law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that Yahweh had visited his people in giving them bread.
7) She went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters-in-law with her; and they went on the way to return to the land of Judah.
8) Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, Go, return each of you to her mother‘s house: Yahweh deal kindly with you, as you have dealt with the dead, and with me.
9) Yahweh grant you that you may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voice, and wept.
10) They said to her, No, but we will return with you to your people.
11) Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will you go with me? have I yet sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
12) Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have a husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should even have a husband tonight, and should also bear sons;
13) would you therefore wait until they were grown? would you therefore stay from having husbands? nay, my daughters, for it grieves me much for your sakes, for the hand of Yahweh is gone forth against me.
14) They lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth joined with her.
15) She said, Behold, your sister-in-law is gone back to her people, and to her god: return you after your sister-in-law.
16) Ruth said, "Don‘t entreat me to leave you, and to return from following after you, for where you go, I will go; and where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God;
17) where you die, will I die, and there will I be buried: Yahweh do so to me, and more also, if anything but death part you and me."
18) When she saw that she was steadfastly minded to go with her, she left off speaking to her.
1) Naomi had a kinsman of her husband‘s, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech, and his name was Boaz.
2) Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean among the ears of grain after him in whose sight I shall find favor. She said to her, Go, my daughter.
3) She went, and came and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and she happened to come to the portion of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.
4) Behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said to the reapers, Yahweh be with you. They answered him, Yahweh bless you.
5) Then said Boaz to his servant who was set over the reapers, Whose young lady is this?
6) The servant who was set over the reapers answered, It is the Moabite lady who came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab:
7) She said, Please let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves. So she came, and has continued even from the morning until now, except that she stayed a little in the house.
8) Then said Boaz to Ruth, Don‘t you hear, my daughter? Don‘t go to glean in another field, neither pass from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens.
9) Let your eyes be on the field that they reap, and go after them: haven‘t I charged the young men that they shall not touch you? and when you are thirsty, go to the vessels, and drink of that which the young men have drawn.
10) Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said to him, Why have I found favor in your sight, that you should take knowledge of me, seeing I am a foreigner?
11) Boaz answered her, It has fully been showed me, all that you have done to your mother-in-law since the death of your husband; and how you have left your father and your mother, and the land of your birth, and have come to a people that you didn‘t know before.
12) Yahweh recompense your work, and a full reward be given you of Yahweh, the God of Israel, under whose wings you are come to take refuge.
13) Then she said, Let me find favor in your sight, my lord, because you have comforted me, and because you have spoken kindly to your handmaid, though I am not as one of your handmaidens.
7) When Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of grain: and she came softly, and uncovered his feet, and laid her down.
8) It happened at midnight, that the man was afraid, and turned himself; and, behold, a woman lay at his feet.
9) He said, Who are you? She answered, I am Ruth your handmaid: spread therefore your skirt over your handmaid; for you are a near kinsman.
10) He said, Blessed be you of Yahweh, my daughter: you have showed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as you didn‘t follow young men, whether poor or rich.
11) Now, my daughter, don‘t be afraid; I will do to you all that you say; for all the city of my people does know that you are a worthy woman.
12) Now it is true that I am a near kinsman; however there is a kinsman nearer than I.
13) Stay this night, and it shall be in the morning, that if he will perform to you the part of a kinsman, well; let him do the kinsman‘s part: but if he will not do the part of a kinsman to you, then will I do the part of a kinsman to you, as Yahweh lives: lie down until the morning.
14) She lay at his feet until the morning. She rose up before one could discern another. For he said, Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.
9) Boaz said to the elders, and to all the people, You are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech‘s, and all that was Chilion‘s and Mahlon‘s, of the hand of Naomi.
10) Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead on his inheritance, that the name of the dead not be cut off from among his brothers, and from the gate of his place: you are witnesses this day.
11) All the people who were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. Yahweh make the woman who has come into your house like Rachel and like Leah, which two built the house of Israel: and do you worthily in Ephrathah, and be famous in Bethlehem:
12) and let your house be like the house of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah, of the seed which Yahweh shall give you of this young woman.
13) So Boaz took Ruth, and she became his wife; and he went in to her, and Yahweh gave her conception, and she bore a son.
14) The women said to Naomi, Blessed be Yahweh, who has not left you this day without a near kinsman; and let his name be famous in Israel.
15) He shall be to you a restorer of life, and sustain you in your old age, for your daughter-in-law, who loves you, who is better to you than seven sons, has borne him.
16) Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse to it.
17) The women her neighbors gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they named him Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.
18) Now this is the history of the generations of Perez: Perez became the father of Hezron,
19) and Hezron became the father of Ram, and Ram became the father of Amminadab,
20) and Amminadab became the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon became the father of Salmon,
21) and Salmon became the father of Boaz, and Boaz became the father of Obed,
22) and Obed became the father of Jesse, and Jesse became the father of David.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.