The Sunday School Lesson Jacob Meets God at Bethel by David McGee
Oct 07, 2018
Jacob Meets God at Bethel (43:28)
Referenced Scriptures: Genesis 27:41-46; Genesis 28:1-22; Psalm 105:9-10
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
41) Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing with which his father blessed him. Esau said in his heart, "The days of mourning for my father are at hand. Then I will kill my brother Jacob."
42) The words of Esau, her elder son, were told to Rebekah. She sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said to him, "Behold, your brother Esau comforts himself about you by planning to kill you.
43) Now therefore, my son, obey my voice. Arise, flee to Laban, my brother, in Haran.
44) Stay with him a few days, until your brother‘s fury turns away;
45) until your brother‘s anger turn away from you, and he forgets what you have done to him. Then I will send, and get you from there. Why should I be bereaved of you both in one day?"
46) Rebekah said to Isaac, "I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth. If Jacob takes a wife of the daughters of Heth, such as these, of the daughters of the land, what good will my life do me?"
1) Isaac called Jacob, blessed him, and commanded him, "You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
2) Arise, go to Paddan-aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother‘s father. Take a wife from there from the daughters of Laban, your mother‘s brother.
3) May God Almighty bless you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, that you may be a company of peoples,
4) and give you the blessing of Abraham, to you, and to your seed with you, that you may inherit the land where you travel, which God gave to Abraham."
5) Isaac sent Jacob away. He went to Paddan-aram to Laban, son of Bethuel the Syrian, Rebekah‘s brother, Jacob‘s and Esau‘s mother.
6) Now Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob and sent him away to Paddan-aram, to take him a wife from there, and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, "You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan,"
7) and that Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and was gone to Paddan-aram.
8) Esau saw that the daughters of Canaan didn‘t please Isaac, his father.
9) Esau went to Ishmael, and took, besides the wives that he had, Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham‘s son, the sister of Nebaioth, to be his wife.
10) Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran.
11) He came to a certain place, and stayed there all night, because the sun had set. He took one of the stones of the place, and put it under his head, and lay down in that place to sleep.
12) He dreamed. Behold, a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. Behold, the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
13) Behold, Yahweh stood above it, and said, "I am Yahweh, the God of Abraham your father, and the God of Isaac. The land whereon you lie, to you will I give it, and to your seed.
14) Your seed will be as the dust of the earth, and you will spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south. In you and in your seed will all the families of the earth be blessed.
15) Behold, I am with you, and will keep you, wherever you go, and will bring you again into this land. For I will not leave you, until I have done that which I have spoken of to you."
16) Jacob awakened out of his sleep, and he said, "Surely Yahweh is in this place, and I didn‘t know it."
17) He was afraid, and said, "How dreadful is this place! This is none other than God‘s house, and this is the gate of heaven."
18) Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put under his head, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil on the top of it.
19) He called the name of that place Bethel, but the name of the city was Luz at the first.
20) Jacob vowed a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and clothing to put on,
21) so that I come again to my father‘s house in peace, and Yahweh will be my God,
22) then this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, will be God‘s house. Of all that you will give me I will surely give the tenth to you."
9) The covenant which he made with Abraham, His oath to Isaac,
10) And confirmed the same to Jacob for a statute; To Israel for an everlasting covenant,
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.