The Sunday School Lesson God The Holy Spirit by David McGee
Nov 19, 2017
God The Holy Spirit (41:28)
Referenced Scriptures: John 16:7-11; Acts 1:8; Romans 8:9-11; 1 Corinthians 2:1-5; 1 Corinthians 6:18-20; 2 Timothy 1:6-7,13-14
Who is the Holy Spirit? Some people are inclined to see the Spirit as merely a gift from God. And while it is true that Jesus promised to send the Spirit to His followers, it is important to realize that the Holy Spirit is God Himself. When we have the Spirit in our lives, we have God with us.
This lesson will help us understand the identity of the Holy Spirit as well as His work in our lives. Attention is given to the Spirit's role in convicting all people of sin, guiding us into truth, and empowering us for service. Through Scripture we are reminded that such work can only be performed by God the Spirit, who uniquely indwells the people of God.
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I don‘t go away, the Counselor won‘t come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
8) When he has come, he will convict the world in respect to sin, and righteousness, and judgment;
9) of sin, because they don‘t believe in me;
10) of righteousness, because I am going to my Father, and you see me no more;
11) of judgment, because the prince of this world has been judged.
8) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you. You will be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth."
9) But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if it is so that the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if any man doesn‘t have the Spirit of Christ, he is not his.
10) If Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
11) But if the Spirit of him who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5
1) When I came to you, brothers, I didn‘t come with excellence of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.
2) For I determined not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
3) I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.
4) My speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5) that your faith wouldn‘t stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18) Flee sexual immorality. "Every sin that a man does is outside the body," but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.
19) Or don‘t you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which you have from God? You are not your own,
20) for you were bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God‘s.
2 Timothy 1:6-7,13-14
6) For this cause, I remind you that you should stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
7) For God didn‘t give us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and discipline.
13) Hold the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
14) That good thing which was committed to you, guard through the Holy Spirit which dwells in us.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.