The Sunday School Lesson Pentecostal Experience Continues by David McGee
May 15, 2016
Pentecostal Experience Continues (34:11)
Referenced Scriptures: Acts 8:15-17; Acts 10:44-48; Acts 11:1-18; Acts 19:1-7
The Day of Pentecost marked the birth of the Early Church in a dramatic way. One hundred and twenty believers in Christ received the Holy Spirit with multiple signs accompanying the event.
Yet, the question often asked is if that event was intended only for the Early church so that they could meet the challenges they faced to survive and grow. Was it just for those who walked with Jesus while He was on earth, or does Jesus continue to baptize believers in the Holy Spirit as He did then?
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
15) who, when they had come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit;
16) for as yet he had fallen on none of them. They had only been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
17) Then they laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
44) While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all those who heard the word.
45) They of the circumcision who believed were amazed, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was also poured out on the Gentiles.
46) For they heard them speak with other languages, and magnify God. Then Peter answered,
47) "Can any man forbid the water, that these who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we should not be baptized,?"
48) He commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay some days.
1) Now the apostles and the brothers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
2) When Peter had come up to Jerusalem, those who were of the circumcision contended with him,
3) saying, "You went in to uncircumcised men, and ate with them!"
4) But Peter began, and explained to them in order, saying,
5) "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision: a certain container descending, like it was a great sheet let down from heaven by four corners. It came as far as me,
6) on which, when I had looked intently, I considered, and saw the four-footed animals of the earth, wild animals, creeping things, and birds of the sky.
7) I also heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter, kill and eat!‘
8) But I said, ‘Not so, Lord, for nothing unholy or unclean has ever entered into my mouth.‘
9) But a voice answered me the second time out of heaven, ‘What God has cleansed, don‘t you make unholy.‘
10) This was done three times, and all were drawn up again into heaven.
11) Behold, immediately three men stood before the house where I was, having been sent from Caesarea to me.
12) The Spirit told me to go with them, without discriminating. These six brothers also accompanied me, and we entered into the man‘s house.
13) He told us how he had seen the angel standing in his house, and saying to him, ‘Send to Joppa, and get Simon, whose surname is Peter,
14) who will speak to you words whereby you will be saved, you and all your house.‘
15) As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them, even as on us at the beginning.
16) I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit.‘
17) If then God gave to them the same gift as us, when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I, that I could withstand God?"
18) When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life!"
1) It happened that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul, having passed through the upper country, came to Ephesus, and found certain disciples.
2) He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They said to him, "No, we did not so much as hear whether there is a Holy Spirit."
3) He said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John‘s baptism."
4) Paul said, "John indeed baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe in the one who would come after him, that is, on Jesus."
5) When they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
6) When Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke with other languages, and prophesied.
7) They were about twelve men in all.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.