The Sermon Why Did the Prophets Say a Messiah Is Coming? by David McGee
Dec 06, 2020
Why Did the Prophets Say a Messiah Is Coming? (34:14)
Referenced Scriptures: 1 Kings 18:20-40; 2 Peter 3:9; Micah 5:2-5; Isaiah 7:10-14; Luke 1:26-34
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
1 Kings 18:20-40
20) So Ahab sent to all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together to Mount Carmel.
21) Elijah came near to all the people, and said, How long go you limping between the two sides? if Yahweh be God, follow him; but if Baal, then follow him. The people answered him not a word.
22) Then said Elijah to the people, I, even I only, am left a prophet of Yahweh; but Baal‘s prophets are four hundred fifty men.
23) Let them therefore give us two bulls; and let them choose one bull for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on the wood, and put no fire under; and I will dress the other bull, and lay it on the wood, and put no fire under.
24) Call you on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of Yahweh; and the God who answers by fire, let him be God. All the people answered, It is well spoken.
25) Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bull for yourselves, and dress it first; for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under.
26) They took the bull which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any who answered. They leaped about the altar which was made.
27) It happened at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud; for he is a god: either he is musing, or he is gone aside, or he is on a journey, or peradventure he sleeps and must be awakened.
28) They cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lances, until the blood gushed out on them.
29) It was so, when midday was past, that they prophesied until the time of the offering of the [evening] offering; but there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any who regarded.
30) Elijah said to all the people, Come near to me; and all the people came near to him. He repaired the altar of Yahweh that was thrown down.
31) Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of Yahweh came, saying, Israel shall be your name.
32) With the stones he built an altar in the name of Yahweh; and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
33) He put the wood in order, and cut the bull in pieces, and laid it on the wood. He said, Fill four jars with water, and pour it on the burnt offering, and on the wood.
34) He said, Do it the second time; and they did it the second time. He said, Do it the third time; and they did it the third time.
35) The water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
36) It happened at the time of the offering of the [evening] offering, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, Yahweh, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word.
37) Hear me, Yahweh, hear me, that this people may know that you, Yahweh, are God, and [that] you have turned their heart back again.
38) Then the fire of Yahweh fell, and consumed the burnt offering, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
39) When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, Yahweh, he is God; Yahweh, he is God.
40) and Elijah said to them, Take the prophets of Baal; don‘t let one of them escape. They took them; and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and killed them there.
2 Peter 3:9
9) The Lord is not slow concerning his promise, as some count slowness; but is longsuffering towards us, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2) But you, Beth-lehem Ephrathah, which are little to be among the thousands of Judah, out of you shall one come forth to me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.
3) Therefore will he give them up, until the time that she who travails has brought forth: then the residue of his brothers shall return to the children of Israel.
4) He shall stand, and shall feed [his flock] in the strength of Yahweh, in the majesty of the name of Yahweh his God: and they shall abide; for now shall he be great to the ends of the earth.
5) This [man] shall be [our] peace. When the Assyrian shall come into our land, and when he shall tread in our palaces, then shall we raise against him seven shepherds, and eight principal men.
10) Yahweh spoke again to Ahaz, saying,
11) Ask you a sign of Yahweh your God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
12) But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt Yahweh.
13) He said, "Listen now, house of David: Is it a small thing for you to weary men, that you will weary my God also?
14) Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
26) Now in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27) to a virgin pledged to be married to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin‘s name was Mary.
28) Having come in to her, the angel said, "Rejoice, you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women!"
29) But when she saw him, she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered what kind of salutation this might be.
30) The angel said to her, "Don‘t be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
31) Behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bring forth a son, and will call his name JESUS.
32) He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give to him the throne of his father, David,
33) and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever. There will be no end of his kingdom."
34) Mary said to the angel, "How will this be, seeing I am a virgin?"
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.