The Sermon Jesus Came to Connect by David McGee
May 10, 2020
Jesus Came to Connect (38:52)
Referenced Scriptures: John 4:1-42
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
1) Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John
2) (although Jesus himself didn‘t baptize, but his disciples),
3) he left Judea, and departed again into Galilee.
4) He needed to pass through Samaria.
5) So he came to a city of Samaria, called Sychar, near the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son, Joseph.
6) Jacob‘s well was there. Jesus therefore, being tired from his journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour.
7) A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink."
8) For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.
9) The Samaritan woman therefore said to him, "How is it that you, being a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?" (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.)
10) Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give me a drink,‘ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water."
11) The woman said to him, "Sir, you have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. From where then have you that living water?
12) Are you greater than our father, Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself, as did his sons, and his cattle?"
13) Jesus answered her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again,
14) but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."
15) The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I don‘t get thirsty, neither come all the way here to draw."
16) Jesus said to her, "Go, call your husband, and come here."
17) The woman answered, "I have no husband." Jesus said to her, "You said well, ‘I have no husband,‘
18) for you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband. This you have said truly."
19) The woman said to him, "Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet.
20) Our fathers worshipped in this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where people ought to worship."
21) Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe me, the hour comes, when neither in this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, will you worship the Father.
22) You worship that which you don‘t know. We worship that which we know; for salvation is from the Jews.
23) But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to be his worshippers.
24) God is a Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."
25) The woman said to him, "I know that Messiah comes," (he who is called Christ). "When he has come, he will declare to us all things."
26) Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am he."
27) At this, his disciples came. They marveled that he was speaking with a woman; yet no one said, "What are you looking for?" or, "Why do you speak with her?"
28) So the woman left her water pot, and went away into the city, and said to the people,
29) "Come, see a man who told me everything that I did. Can this be the Christ?"
30) They went out of the city, and were coming to him.
31) In the meanwhile, the disciples urged him, saying, "Rabbi, eat."
32) But he said to them, "I have food to eat that you don‘t know about."
33) The disciples therefore said one to another, "Has anyone brought him something to eat?"
34) Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work.
35) Don‘t you say, ‘There are yet four months until the harvest?‘ Behold, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and look at the fields, that they are white already to harvest.
36) He who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit to eternal life; that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together.
37) For in this the saying is true, ‘One sows, and another reaps.‘
38) I sent you to reap that for which you haven‘t labored. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor."
39) From that city many of the Samaritans believed in him because of the word of the woman, who testified, ‘He told me everything that I did."
40) So when the Samaritans came to him, they begged him to stay with them. He stayed there two days.
41) Many more believed because of his word.
42) They said to the woman, "Now we believe, not because of your speaking; for we have heard for ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world."
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.