The Sermon God Who Instructs Prayer, Listens by David McGee
Jun 17, 2018
God Who Instructs Prayer, Listens (32:59)
Referenced Scriptures: Luke 11:1-13; Matthew 6:13-18; John 14:5-15
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
1) It happened, that when he finished praying in a certain place, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John also taught his disciples."
2) He said to them, "When you pray, say, ‘Our Father in heaven, May your name be kept holy. May your kingdom come. May your desire be done on Earth, as it is in heaven.
3) Give us day by day our daily bread.
4) Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.‘"
5) He said to them, "Which of you, if you go to a friend at midnight, and tell him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,
6) for a friend of mine has come to me from a journey, and I have nothing to set before him,‘
7) and he from within will answer and say, ‘Don‘t bother me. The door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I can‘t get up and give it to you‘?
8) I tell you, although he will not rise and give it to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence, he will get up and give him as many as he needs.
9) I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you.
10) For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened.
11) Which of you fathers, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he won‘t give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?
12) Or if he asks for an egg, he won‘t give him a scorpion, will he?
13) If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"
13) Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever. Amen.‘
14) For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15) But if you don‘t forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
16) "Moreover when you fast, don‘t be, as the hypocrites, with sad faces. For they disfigure their faces, that they may be seen by men to be fasting. Most assuredly I tell you, they have received their reward.
17) But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face;
18) that you are not seen by men to be fasting, but by your Father who is in secret, and your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.
5) Thomas says to him, "Lord, we don‘t know where you are going. How can we know the way?"
6) Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but by me.
7) If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on, you know him, and have seen him."
8) Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us."
9) Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you such a long time, and do you not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father. How do you say, ‘Show us the Father?‘
10) Don‘t you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father living in me does his works.
11) Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me; or else believe me for the very works‘ sake.
12) Most assuredly I tell you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these will he do; because I am going to my Father.
13) Whatever you will ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14) If you will ask anything in my name, that will I do.
15) If you love me, keep my commandments.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.