The Sermon Today I Choose by Jose' Vargas
Mar 26, 2017
Today I Choose (29:31)
Referenced Scriptures: Acts 9:1-6; Acts 2:12-24; Hosea; Luke 22:39-54
In this thing we call life there are a variety of choices and paths that we can take. The choices we make today not only shape our lives but also the lives of those around us. Today I want to highlight what I deem as turning points for people in the Bible. Moments where the person had a choice and how the choice affected them and others.
The scriptures below are from the WEB Bible.
1) But Saul, still breathing threats and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,
2) and asked for letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
3) As he traveled, it happened that he got close to Damascus, and suddenly a light from the sky shone around him.
4) He fell on the earth, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"
5) He said, "Who are you, Lord?" The Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.
6) But rise up, and enter into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
12) They were all amazed, and were perplexed, saying one to another, "What does this mean?"
13) Others, mocking, said, "They are filled with new wine."
14) But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and spoke out to them, "You men of Judea, and all you who dwell at Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to my words.
15) For these aren‘t drunken, as you suppose, seeing it is only the third hour of the day.
16) But this is what has been spoken through the prophet Joel:
17) ‘It will be in the last days, says God, I will pour forth of my Spirit on all flesh. Your sons and your daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions. Your old men will dream dreams.
18) Yes, and on my servants and on my handmaidens in those days, I will pour out my Spirit, and they will prophesy.
19) I will show wonders in the the sky above, And signs on the earth beneath; Blood, and fire, and billows of smoke.
20) The sun will be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the great and glorious day of the Lord comes.
21) It will be, that whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.‘
22) "You men of Israel, hear these words. Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved by God to you by mighty works and wonders and signs which God did by him in the midst of you, even as you yourselves know,
23) him, being delivered up by the determined counsel and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by the hand of lawless men, crucified and killed;
24) whom God raised up, having freed him from the agony of death, because it was not possible that he should be held by it.
39) He came out, and went, as his custom was, to the Mount of Olives. His disciples also followed him.
40) When he was at the place, he said to them, "Pray that you don‘t enter into temptation."
41) He was withdrawn from them about a stone‘s throw, and he knelt down and prayed,
42) saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."
43) An angel from heaven appeared to him, strengthening him.
44) Being in agony he prayed more earnestly. His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground.
45) When he rose up from his prayer, he came to the disciples, and found them sleeping because of grief,
46) and said to them, "Why do you sleep? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation."
47) While he was still speaking, behold, a multitude, and he who was called Judas, one of the twelve, went in front of them. He came near to Jesus to kiss him.
48) But Jesus said to him, "Judas, do you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?"
49) When those who were around him saw what was about to happen, they said, "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?"
50) A certain one of them struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.
51) But Jesus answered, "Let me at least do this" -- and he touched his ear, and healed him.
52) Jesus said to the chief priests, captains of the temple, and elders, who had come against him, "Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs?
53) When I was with you in the temple daily, you didn‘t stretch out your hands against me. But this is your hour, and the power of darkness."
54) They seized him, and led him away, and brought him into the high priest‘s house. But Peter followed from a distance.
The WEB Bible is provided by Public Domain.